Tuesday, May 26, 2009

WolframAlpha... Still waiting

I was excited about the debut of a new Internet "tool" that had promised to enhance cyber life the way Google did. It is called WolframAlpha. You can check it out here. I am, sad to say, disappointed. I am not sure what I expected, but definately something more than this. It is new and it will undoubtedly get better. Right now I can't think of anything I will use it for.

I tried a couple of different queries and some produced no results at all and some produced useful information - but certainly nothing I couldn't get from Google or any online encyclopedia. It suggests some examples on the home page like putting in a date. I chose Jan. 28th 1986, a day that will live in infamy. It was the day after my first child was born, but you may remember it for some other event.
Under notable events it lists the death of two astronauts that oddly enough died on the same day, weird, huh. Well it might have noted that this was the day the space shuttle Challenger exploded during lift-off.

Needless to say right now I am underwhelmed by WolframAlpha. And I still wait for the day I can ask my computer a simple plain text question and get a simple answer as if we were having a conversation.


CW

1 comment:

TJW said...

Ditto here, My question was, "How old was Ronald Regan when he was elected in 1980?" My answer was... "Try a math question, I'm really good at math questions."

Underwhelming doesn't quite say enough, does it?