Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Feeling Funky II

On the heels of my last post I come to you now a bit humbled. While I think it's human nature to be both a pessimist and an optimist simultaneously I can can't square myself with being a literal walking contradiction. Let me explain:

The evidence that every generation of Americans achieves greater prosperity and living standards than the last is fairly compelling. Just looking at my own life and that of my family and my peers I see how much more affluence and luxury we enjoy over my parents generation and it is astounding. At the same time every generation thinks that our society is going to hell in a hand basket right before their eyes simply because things change so rapidly. Some people have a hard time adapting, things begin to look bleak. While our own lot in life is improving we can't help but empathize with those suffering and through a sort of transference we are convinced that things can't get much worse. The truth is that things always have gotten better.

For years I have been convinced that this simple paradox of things looking worse while things were actually improving was perpetual. Now, however I am not so sure...

Today I was reading an article by Douglas Mackinnon about the war that has been declared on the U.S. by Mexican nationals in this country illegally and the further I read the faster my optimism drained. Then I read a random comment of an anonymous reader and outright depression set in. I couldn't argue with one word of it. And the worse part - I am too tired to get angry any more. I have become part of the problem - I am failing as a father, I am failing my son and daughter. When I read this I saw my daughter in the first paragraph and my son in the last. Please read this and pray for me our country and yourself - we are going to need it.

toro writes: Wednesday, August, 01, 2007 7:53 AM

I hate to admit it, but when I read this my immediate response was anger. Then I realized that it will take a catastrophy to wake up the complacent citizens of our country. Most people are more interested in what part of her body Paris Hilton (and many others like her) will show next to be displayed on the internet than to read important information explaining what is destroying our nation. Too many have received too much too soon, and are absolutely bored with life, therefore requiring things that would shock most, while some consider suicide daily as an escape.

We are morally broken and the elite know it, why else would they so openly do what they do, and no longer even consider what we the people want. Our complacency has reached a point comparable to being drugged into submission waiting to be slaughtered.

We can compare our nation to a snake swallowing its own tail. The very rights that were written by great minds are no longer the basis of every day life, but have been replaced by hi-tech rituals.

Observe our very young and watch them spend hours being brainwashed by high-tech toys that provide them the very means to kill another like them. They can hook up and symbolically kill each other over this media, even actually train in weaponry more advanced than our military uses.

Take a look around you and you'll see most of our youth hooked up to electronic gadgetry, all intensely gazing into a screen that allows them to see things we've never seen. All intended to escape from reality and divert them from what is being taken away from them...FREEDOM! It's called conditioning and we are all victims.

Feeling Funky? I am. God help us all.




CW

No comments: