Saturday, June 20, 2009

House Painting - and feeling it


I have been remiss in my sporadic but regular posts to this blog. Well, I have been painting the house for the last few weeks.

My house actually has a stucco exterior and needs no real maintenance per se. However, the trim and windows are still the old wood they hammered together 50 years ago when the house was built. Every 5 years whether they need it or not I paint them. Scrapping, cleaning, and glazing is time consuming and tedious.

The real killer though is the height and pitch of the roof. I have dormer windows that need attention and getting this old body up there (safely) is a tiresome task. Up and down, up and down the ladder 50 times in one day is killing me. Actually, the bracket holding my rig to the impossibly steep pitch coming loose this morning is what nearly killed me.

A few years ago I had no problem bounding around this very same roof with no rigging whatsoever... Getting old sucks.

Right now I'm on break waiting or the first coat to dry. Tomorrow, if all goes well, I will caulk around the dormer windows and hope to God I will be completely done with that aspect of this job. Then - I will be half done!!!

CW

No comments: