Monday, July 06, 2009

Greedy Pigs, All of Them


Bruce Bialosky asks "Where Will They Stop?" in his column today. He's referring to state governments confiscating unused gift card value as their own. By what right does the government have taking the unused value of gift cards from the issuer and even the receiver of the gift? These greedy pigs will stop at nothing, what's next my unused savings in my savings account at the bank?

Honestly, when the government starts to act like that you have to believe that we are not in the land of free anymore. Nearly $6.8 billion in gift cards per year go unused. I am as guilty as the next guy... Often they go into my wallet and never see the light of day - even though I have subsequently visited the retailer multiple times. I'm an idiot. But does that mean the government gets the largess of my idiocy? Why not the retailer or the issuer?

There are those who will scold us for complaining until we're all blue in the face, but if we keep electing the same greedy pigs time after time we ought to shut up and take it. I reject this assertion. I do not cast my vote to re-elect these thieves - and besides is anyone truly informed about this type of legislation before it's too late. You know these cowards slip this stuff in to larger bills in the middle of the night when our attention is focused on American Idol and Britney Spears. Where is the media? Right, oh right, American Idol and Britney Spears.

As of today it seems I am safe here in the land of 10,000 lakes, my state government has yet to pull this one out of there bag of tricks. Shhhh! Don't give them any ideas!



CW

No comments: