Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Aldi - Huh? I don't get it


Recently a new store opened up in my area. It was called Aldi. I had never heard of it and didn't have any idea what it was (didn't care either). Someone at work said "Oh, yeah, Aldi. It's a supermarket chain - out of Germany, I think..."

I let it slip my mind thinking nothing of it and went about shopping at my usual grocery store chain. During the course of life you'll find you need to "pop" into the grocery store and get something you need for dinner tonight. Well, going to one of the big mega grocery stores can be a huge hassle if you just need one little thing, you know what I mean.

So, as it happened I was driving right passed Aldi and needed a head of lettuce for making tacos. Let's see what this Aldi is all about. Pulled in and parked easily enough right close to the front door. Check one for Aldi so far. My next thought was 'what the #$%&'.

I don't get it. For one they didn't even have the damn lettuce. Two they didn't even have grocery store shelves and for three they didn't have any brands I recognized whatsoever. Based on the number of shoppers in the place they must be doing good business - clearly someone gets it. Is it the prices? I have no idea - never actually bought anything.

I tried again under the same sort of circumstances and again they didn't have the item I needed. I doubt I will ever walk through their doors again - I wish them well, I guess.



CW

No comments: