Thursday, August 13, 2009

Not So Smart?


For all the talk of how smart Barack Obama is I find his gaffes to be far more telling (and concerning) than George Bush's frequent grammatical stumbles.

The other day while defending his Health Care Reform plan I heard the President claiming multiple times that the AARP had endorsed it enthusiastically. The AARP begs to differ - they have not endorsed it. Hmmmm, rather a large oversight I'd say.

Later that day I heard the President say (paraphrasing) "people ask me all the time, how can private insurance possibly compete with a public option? I say to them what about UPS and Fed Ex, they seem to be doing pretty well. It seems to me it's the Postal Service that's always having problems."

Excuse me??? So, Mr. President you are going to justify a federal takeover of the health care industry (which is what he truly wants, make no mistake about it) by using the Postal Service as an example. Fed Ex and UPS produce profits year after year while the Postal Service reports projections of massive deficits even though they have a legal monopoly over daily first class mail delivery. How smart does this sound?

Yesterday while handing out the "Medal of Freedom" awards at the White House one of the recipients didn't recognize the person she was supposed to be. Tennis great Billie Jean King looked on as the President didn't get any of it right - according to King herself.

"They didn't get any of my facts right," King lightheartedly noted afterward. "Did you see all the - how many titles I won? I was cracking up."
"Not even in the ballpark," she continued.

It should be noted that the President did not have his teleprompter for this event. While he generally doesn't claim to be the decider or worry about obstetricians who are no longer able to practice their love, don't misunderestimate his ability to say stupid, illogical things.

Minus the teleprompter President Obama does not exude the pure intellect so often attributed to him by his adorers. One day they will see that the emperor has no clothes - maybe.




CW

No comments: